Stevan is a member at Skoubye Nielson & Johansen, LLC. He manages a national litigation practice with a special emphasis in transportation and construction law.
Stevan and his team of attorneys, paralegals, and legal staff assist freight brokers and trucking companies in managing the risks inherent in the transportation industry. This includes advising manufacturers, freight brokers, freight forwarders, motor carriers, fulfilment operations, and warehousemen as they navigate complex cargo and casualty claims, providing insurance coverage analysis, and drafting all types of transportation, fulfilment, employment, and warehousing contracts that contemplate and mitigate risk before it occurs. Stevan also handles non-compete, non-solicitation, and other employment related matters.
Stevan and his team provide experienced and aggressive representation to owners, contractors, suppliers, and construction services professionals. He has helped his clients successfully work through complicated insurance coverage disputes, contract disputes and negotiations, lien foreclosures, performance and payment bond claims, and land use issues.
Based out of Salt Lake City, Stevan represents clients from all over the United States and world. He has appeared in federal and state courts and handled matters with arbitrators and mediators in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Washington, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Illinois, and Wyoming.
Prior to joining Skoubye Nielson & Johansen in 2008, Stevan was a judicial extern for the Hon. Ronald E. Nehring (Ret.) of the Utah Supreme Court, where he prepared opinion drafts for HMA v. U.S. Bank, 2007 UT 40 and Swenson v. Erikson, 2007 UT 76.
- S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah, Juris Doctor, 2008
- Brigham Young University, B.A. Asian Studies, 2004
- Ricks College, A.A. Chinese, 2002
- Utah State Bar Association, Construction Section (2008-present)
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA) (2008-present)
- Co-Chair, TLA Logistics and E-Commerce Committee (2013-2018)
- Member Executive Committee, Voting Member at Large (2018-2020)
- Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA) (2010-present)
- Lunt v. Lance, 2008 UT App. 192 (Utah Ct. App. 2008) (drafted briefs as law clerk)
- Wall v. Wall (In re Estates of Wall), 2012 UT App 105
- Scott Anderson Trucking, Inc. Paccar, 181 Wn. App. 1012 (Wa.Ct.App. 2014)
- Hart v. Salois, 2014 U.S. Dist LEXIS 79071 (D. Utah 2014)
- Hart v. Salois, 605 Fed. Appx. 694 (10th 2015)
- Dome Tech., LLC v. Factory Mut. Ins. Co., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 195609 (S.D. Miss. 2015)
- Olsen v. Fair Co., 2016 UT App 46 (Utah Ct. App. 2016)
- Pro Star Logistics, Inc. v. AN Enter. 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 195994 (D. Utah 2017)
- Dome Tech., LLC v. Golden Sands Gen. Contrs., Inc., 257 F.Supp.3d 735 (W.D. Virginia 2017)
- Dome Tech., LLC v. Golden Sands Gen. Contrs., Inc., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 182816 (D. Conn. 2017)
- Delta Stone Prods. v. Xpertfreight, 304 F.Supp. 3d 1119 (D. Utah 2018)
- Scott Anderson Trucking, Inc. v. Nielson Construction, Inc., 2020 UT App 43 (Utah Ct. App. 2020)
- “Tar Sands – Worth the Energy? An Analysis of the Future of Utah’s Tar Sands” – Journal of Land, Resources and Environmental Law, Vol. 27. Salt Lake City: University of Utah College of Law, 2007.
- “What Do I Do with a Broken Seal Load?” – The Logistics Journal, January 2017.
- “Analyzing Cargo Insurance Options for Freight Brokers” – The Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 20 No. 4, Transportation Lawyers Association, 2019.
Presentations and Papers
- “Practicum: Advising New Transportation Clients”—Transportation Lawyers Association Chicago Regional Seminar, January 16, 2015.
- “Cargo Claims and Broker Liability”—Transportation Lawyers Association Chicago Regional Seminar, January 14, 2016.
- “Broker Tips: Navigating Contract Issues Related to Shippers, Brokers, and Carriers in Traditional and Technology Driven Market”—Transportation Lawyers Association Transportation Law Institute, Louisville, KY, November 9, 2018.
Stevan and his wife Joelle have three children. They enjoy trail running, skiing, and traveling as a family.
Articles by Stevan
What Do I Do with a Broken Seal Load?
Where Do I File My Cargo Claim?
New Insurance Option Offers Brokers Unprecedented Protection Against Cargo Claims
Vicarious Liability and Independent Contractors: A Short Explanation
Trip Lease Defense on Double Brokered Loads